And there you have it folks. My $7000 high powered sprinkler system! Hard to believe that underneath the plastic “infiltrators” you see in the background and 12 inches of soil, that spray is going to be the last step in safely disposing of my sewage. Today, the septic designer brought over the last piece I needed, a “hose assembly”, and we hooked it up. The hose assembly attaches to the pump at the bottom of the tank and makes three 90 degree turns before exiting the tank and going through the PVC pipes I assembled a few days ago.
Now it was time to fill up the pump chamber with water and test the system. It was necessary to fill up the chamber with water for two reasons. First, you never want to run any kind of water pump without water in it because air has much lower resistance than water and the motor will burn out without that resistance (so make sure you aren’t out of windshield wiper fluid!) Second, the panel won’t operate the pump unless both the redundant off and pump on floats have been activated and I’m not too keen on climbing down into the tank and flipping them upside down by hand. After ten minutes or so I had enough water in the tank to activate both floats and I turned on the power to the control panel. The pump activated and we got the beautiful water show you see at the top of the post. The septic designer called the inspector for an appointment tomorrow so I can replicate the display for him and he will sign off on it. There will be a few more minor things to assemble once that is done but nothing I can’t get done by the end of tomorrow as long as the backhoe operator shows up.